Wednesday, April 8, 2009

A Legislative Alert



The following came in today from the Recreational Boating Association of Washington.

As I mentioned a few posts ago, I'm conflicted on our state's budget, realizing dollars are tight, valuing human services (which are in dire straits right now) and being a boater. So, I pass this on for you to make, obviously, your own action decisions. 

For myself, I'm calling to support RBAW's position. The Resource Account to my mind is a sort of "trust" fund . When I buy gas at a marina, I'm charged a "highway" tax, just as I'm charged when I gas my car. Since using my boat does not involve highways, I can either request (and get) reimbursement for this tax or leave it in the Resource Account to be used for various state boating facility needs. Leaving it in the account is a way of contributing my refund to a larger cause.

RBAW - ACTION ALERT

Help stop the proposed raid on the Boater's Recreation Resource Account!

Urge the Washington State House of Representatives to support the Senate budget for Boating and Outdoor Recreation.

The threat to recreational boating: Unless boaters act soon, the proposed House of Representatives budget will move $9.8 million from the Recreational Resource Account (these are funds from the boaters' unrefunded gas taxes) to the State General Fund.

These fund transfers proposed by the House will have a very negative impact on recreation, including recreational boating facilities, launch ramps, public marina improvements and
boating facilities. None of our own boating fuel tax dollars will be used to help State marine parks, ports, cities and counties support recreational and bating programs, but will be used for General Fund instead - - our Boating Facilities Fund will be stripped naked.

The State Senate budget has done a much better job of taking care of our state parks and boating programs and keeping our funding intact.

PLEASE CALL THE LEGISLATIVE HOTLINE AND GIVE THIS MESSAGE TO YOUR TWO HOUSE REPRESENTATIVES AND GOVERNOR GREGOIRE:

"PLEASE SUPPORT THE SENATE BUDGET CHAIR'S POSITION ON STATE PARKS, BOATING, AND OUTDOOR RECREATION."

THE LEGISLATIVE HOTLINE IS 1-800-562-6000. IT IS OPEN FROM 8AM TO 8PM, MONDAY THROUGH FRIDAY, AND FROM 9AM TO 1PM ON SATURDAYS.

IT IS VITALLY IMPORTANT THAT THE HOTLINE CALLS START IMMEDIATELY. TIME IS OF THE ESSENCE!

YOU MUST CALL BEFORE APRIL 25, 2009

For more information, contact:
DavidKutz@aol.com
Recreational Boating Association of Washington
Tel: 360-271-1105

No comments: