Thursday, November 6, 2008

Notice to Mariners







Did you know that
  • the Hiram Chittenden Large Locks will be closed on November 22 through December 5th for annual maintenance, but that the small locks will continue normal operations?
  • the Montlake Bridge will not necessarily open on Saturday, November 8th from 1:00 PM to 4:00 PM and again from 7:00PM to 9:30 PM due to the Husky game?
  • they'll be working on the University Bridge from November 17th to February 4th with a large tarp hanging down under the bridge reducing the vertical clearance by six feet?
These are some of the handy bits of information gleaned from the the U.S. Coast Guard's weekly Local Notice to Mariners (LNMs). You can subscribe  to get the free weekly issue. I do, and every week I get an email notification that the next issue is available. I click on the site which downloads a PDF, usually about 12 pages long, eyeball the complete LNM, wondering what's going on in my nautical world. Then I delete it.

Each LNM stands alone, so no need to keep back issues. However, when I'm planning a cruise, then I pay much more attention to what's apt to impact me as I cruise from point A to point B, and on.  I'll usually print out that entire LNM .

Not only items like locks and bridges, you'll also find chart corrections, navigation alerts (such as that missing green buoy which you'd planned on using as a critical reference when cruising), waterfront-construction advisories, military live-firing exercises (ouch!), and tons more - - more than you really need. But its all valuable! Plus, it keeps you in touch with that wet corner of your world.

The LNMs covers Washington, Oregon, the Columbia, Willamette, and Snake rivers, which is what the USCG's District 13 is responsible for.

A handy navigational aid, and at times perhaps critical for you.

No comments: