Friday, February 6, 2009

In Memorium


Ray Rairdon died early yesterday morning.

Many years ago I was trying to discern an 'encore' career. I knew I liked boats, I like people, and I fancied myself a pleasant fellow. After some false starts the idea of boat brokering appealed. After all, it combined boats, people, and I had recently got my USCG Masters ticket. Checking out various brokerages in the area didn't produce much. Then one early evening, as June and I were puttering around the west side of Lake Union, Ray Rairdon, whose brokerage I'd visited earlier, hailed me as we passed by a boat he was on visiting. "I want you to come and see me, Mike, when you can, and let's talk."

And so started my connection with Ray. I was now a seller of boats. Ray Rairdon Yacht Sales was a great place. Ray and his wife, Melissa coached me, as well as became good friends. Not long after Richard Ashton joined the brokerage, and he and I hit it off well.

Selling boats? Well, that's another story. I liked showing boats, I thoroughly enjoyed talking with customers about what they were looking for and what might work for them. But when it came to that famous (infamous?) step of closing a deal? I was an absolute failure! Something like jumping out of airplanes with great gusto and form (which I did many times in Her Majesty's Canadian army), but unable to pull that rip-cord (that's why we had static lines connected to the plane!). No, closing was my Achilles' heel. So, with good support and blessings from Ray and company, I ventured into starting my own business: CruiseMasters Boating Instruction.

Over these past dozen or so years, I've made many good friends and strong acquaintances in the boating world throughout the Northwest. I've seen the brokers develop their professional training and standards, resulting in many now qualified as "Certified Professional Yacht Brokers". Ray and Melissa were prime movers in this effort. To me, and certainly to many, many others, Ray was really the dean of the Northwest brokers - - a person of great integrity. A leader in the Northwest Yacht Brokers Association and in the industry as a whole; a docent with the Museum of Flight - - he use to fly his own Cessna 172; a passion for car racing - - Mercedes SL Gulf Wings and Porches; he liked fast. Ray was a truly unique man, and a real gentleman.

Over the years I've helped move boats for Ray, especially during the Boats Afloat shows. Ray and Melissa and Richard have given me many training referrals. And they're never too busy to chat for a moment when I stop in for coffee (they never had sugar on hand!) and catch up with what's going on in Ray's world.

Just a little over two weeks ago, just before the recent boat show, I stopped in to drop off some brochures. Ray and I talked about the impact of the economy on boat sales, and together with Melissa generally mused over the changes in the other Washington.

Yesterday Richard told me that Ray had died, four days before his 83rd birthday.

Yesterday I lost a coach, a mentor, and a friend. And my heart goes out to Melissa and to all those who loved this guy.

Requiem in pacem

No services are planned. Ray's ashes will be scattered over Puget Sound. Memorials may be made to the Museum of Flight, 9404 East Marginal Way South, Seattle WA 98108-4097, noted "In memory of Ray Rairdon", or call Rebecca Tamfu at 206-768-7238 to make donations over the phone

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I met Ray in 2000 when I bought a boat from him. Several words come to mind to describe him..."gentleman"..."honorable"..."true to his word"...I could go on, but you get my drift.

If Ray told me the sun was not going to rise tomorrow, I'd go buy flashlights.

Goodbye Ray. Boaters around the PNW will miss you.

May you enjoy fair skies and calm seas forever, my friend.